Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Trip to the Large Animal Vet Clinic



I'm a part of a home school co-op. I have the opportunity this year to teach a class on Horses. OK -- now stop your laughing. I know -- it's funny... but not that funny.

How can I teach a class on horses? Lets just say -- there is a LOT of homework. ;) I'd actually call myself the leader of discussion, truth be told. They get 2 weeks to do a homework assignment, then in our 1 hour class... we "NOTEBOOK" it.

Well -- this week, our class time was taken up by a field trip. I arranged for the girls to visit the local Large Animal Vet Clinic. When I called, I asked if they could find a time for us to come visit and talk to the vet about horses. The receptionist said, "Oh -- we are going to perform surgery on a horse on Friday." Great! COOL! The girls would LUV that!! How awesome.

At the end of the conversation -- after all the arrangements were made -- after it was final that we were coming -- just as we were about to conclude -- finish up -- kaput -- ... she said, "Ok -- the castration will be at 4:00..."

I quit listening.

I had to giggle...

CASTRATION!!??!!

Started listening again -- "OK -- fine, we'll be there with bells on. THANK YOU!"

Oh me...


When I told my dear husband what we had planned, he said, "Can't you reschedule? Isn't there something else? You are taking GIRLS to a... THAT??" He couldn't say the word.

Well -- I called a trusted friend, "Do you think it will be OK? Can I take girls to this? Pure, innocent, young, girls? Would you?"

SURE she said. So -- we proceeded.

I e-mailed the parents -- made sure they would know the nature of the visit... all got the go ahead but one. That girl was a bit squeamish about any sort of surgery on animals... so she stayed back to help her mother with the pre-school group of kiddos. So very gracious of her.

Onward and forward!

We arrive at the Large Animal Vet Clinic and open the door and are greeted with a most obnoxious smell of disinfectant. The receptionist stares at me like a deer caught in the head lights. She's mopping. I look down -- ohh... the floor is covered in Large Animal Dirt and Blood, apparently. Um... "Do you want us to wait outside?"

YES!

OK -- we'll wait. I turn around to tell the girls to wait -- and one is already a pasty white color. She has her nose buried in her coat. That's fine -- cover your nose... just wait outside until the smell is dissipated and the Large Animal Dirt and Blood is off the floor.

We wait.

Then the door opens again -- HELLO!! There is someone -- covered in Large Animal Dirt and Blood -- greeting us. I think I gingerly waved... I don't recall. We all troop inside -- the smell is a tad bit better... but the floor is now smeared... just a quick clean up job -- she probably just mopped up the chunks. Never mind... it's o.k. We'll get used to it.

The girls and I had re-hearsed ahead of time some questions to ask the Large Animal Veterinarian. I actually wasn't sure if the young girl sitting in front of us was the Vet or not. She was very -- YOUNG! Cute... young... and covered in Large Animal Dirt and Blood. Well -- her face was clean... that was good -- just look her in the eye! She was the vet after all and very good at what she did that day.

The girls did GREAT. They asked and asked and asked questions. Their homework for the next session was to write a paper about what they learned at the Large Animal Vet Clinic. So they were grilling that Vet. She said, "Wow -- I didn't know there was going to be a quiz." I was very proud of the -- we have a tendency to be shy in strange places -- group of girls. We got to talk about horses teeth, vaccines, favorite animals, least favorite animals, why she became a vet, where she went to school, how long she want to school, what constitutes a large animal (horses, cows, pigs, goats, sheep in these parts)... lots of things. There wasn't' a question these girls asked that the vet couldn't answer. It was neat.

One girl asked, "What surgery are we going to see today."

A teeny weeny awkward pause by the vet. Then she bravely waded forward to explain in very medical terms -- just want she was going to do. It flew right over those girls heads. She did a great job! Awesome -- I was proud of her, for my dear daughter was standing right there... and if she had waded too deep into that subject -- I would have slapped her... she probably knew that.

A man poked his head through another door -- "They are ready."

THEY?? 2? 2 horses??

Hey -- we are in for a treat.

So we followed the vet outside. OUTSIDE?? What is the deal? Don't thing have to be sterile? Don't you lay on a table for surgery? Outside?

SURE -- why not.

Well -- to make a long story -- not quit so long...

We watched the castration.

First the horse goes to sleep -- drug induced sleep... I took this photo from far, far away...

She had us stand back until the horse was down on the ground. No problem. We talked in whispers and watched. 2 shots then the horse was laying on the ground. They we walked in for a closer look. We thought it was funny the 2nd horse was waiting in the waiting room (horse trailer). He was making quite a lot of noise... probably was telling Mr. Horse #1, I feel your pain buddy! I'm right here with you... Then after Mr. Horse #1 was on the ground, we think he changed his tune. HEY -- what's the deal? I can't hear you -- everything OK? I've reconsidered... I really DO want to be quiver full!

Some girls observed closer than others. Notice the short girl standing BEHIND the tall girl. Poor Ellen. Her mother made her go. Cora on the other hand is old hat with this sort of deal. Her dad and brothers have done with this sheep... or something. But she did mention that a horse is QUITE a bit bigger than sheep. EVERYTHING is bigger. Wowza. HA HA!! Quite a learning experience for Ellen (the one hiding). She now KNOWS she doesn't want to be a Large Animal Vet. That has narrowed the choices down a little. I'm sure her parents are pleased.


Tori has often said she wanted to be a vet. Doesn't she look thrilled to be there. Observing. Taking notes. Experiencing the thrill of discovery. She dearly LOVES horses... I asked her on the way back to the van. So -- still want to be a Vet? She shrugged... she is most verbose! But -- that was very telling -- because just 30 minutes ago she had been the only one to raise her hand when the vet asked, "Who here wants to be a veterinarian?" ::giggle:: It's always good to get up close and personal before you go and make choices like that.

Only once did I feel like breaking out into a most uncomfortable giggle... after the Vet had taken out one... part... she started in on part #2, because you know... there are 2 to be removed... well one girl said, "Oh -- she's doing it again?" My very intelligent response was, "Oh Yes... 2." Then you know girls... some one was chatting away, so I jumped right in on that conversation, praying she would file away any other questions for her parents to answer at a later date.

We decided that one was enough, one surgery, not one part. After she was done with the dirty deed, I stopped real quick to say THANK YOU! and we left the premises.

Let's just say, "Fun was had by all!" It will be interesting to read their reports they wrote next week. I can't wait!

6 comments:

  1. Cool field trip! I would have taken my kids. We've seen dogs neutered and the older two have seen a female dog spayed. My 15yodd wants to be a vet, but not a large animal vet. We keep telling her that she will have to learn and practice it all in veterinary school and she might as well spend her first few years as a large animal vet in a rural area since they will pay up to $50,000 of her college loans if she does that.

    I'd love to hear what else you're doing for your class. I've got an 11yodd who's still being homeschooled. (The other 3 are in public school now.) I know she would love to do a horse unit study.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came here via Pioneer Woman.

    Great post! I enjoyed reading your blog.

    NonnieM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I too found you via Pioneer Woman.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my STARS, Jennifer!!!!

    I would've PAID to be there with you on that field trip!!!!

    LOVE. IT.

    beck

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!