Wednesday, January 24, 2007

ROLLER SKATES

"Lucinda, how would you like to stay in the Park? How would you like to stay always ten? You could tell Tony and Uncle Earle, perhaps; and Mr. Gilligan. They'd keep the secret for you. Winter you would sleep with the bears in their caves and come out in the spring. Come out every single spring always ten year old, never any older. That's what I'd call a perfectly elegant idea!"


Today I finished reading Roller Skates by Ruth Sawyer. I'ver never even heard of it until I saw it at our Public Library last week. It had a Newbery Award sticker on it. Somestimes those are good books... sometimes not. This book -- it is a winner. A classic written in 1936.

Here is one of my favorite passages.
There were her books, too, to put on their shelf; and there was the new diary that her mother had bought her and that she had promised to write in often. The books she handled and put in their places with loving care. They filled a large portion of her inner world -- a sanctuary built securely to keep out Aunt Emilys and French governesses. She smoothed her copy of Tanglewood Tales, with a gold Pegasus riding over a crimson cover; she patted Water Babies, without pictures and a feckless binding that matched the King of the Golden River and Plutarch's Lives. There was Hans Anderson, with a frontspiece of Little Ida and her flowers. ... Next came Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.


Then she goes on to list The Peterkin Papers; Uncle Remus, Hans Brinker, Jan of the Windmill, Robin Hood and Swiss Family Robinson. A dictionary, Our Boys in India round out the list.

You know where I'm headed next. That's right. PaperBack Swap. My "wish list" is getting quite lengthy. I can't wait until my bookshelves are full of the classics.

If you haven't taken Roller Skates off of the shelf yet -- I recommend you do. I even feel this would be a wonderful read-aloud with your kids. It would be a good conversation starter about life and death. Growing older, and taking on more responsiblity. Even temper tantrums -- are they necessary? Can they be prevented. LOL

Thank you Ruth Sawyer -- Roller Skates was a good read.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the comment and the recommendation on the book. We are always looking for new books to read.

    No worries... your post only showed up once. :o)

    Have a great day Jennifer and thanks for again for the visit, I hope you'll visit again. After leaving homeschoolblogger, I seem to have lost a few friends. :(

    Blessings,
    Theresa ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that going out and adding my friends blogs to my GOOGLE home page reminds me to visit them. The more I visit them -- the more they visit me. But that's not always the case!

    Did you know you can set up tabs on your google home page. I added blogs to my 2nd tab. Ü I've got a huge list going... but not many comments yet.

    Hope you like the book Theresa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I replied to the comment that you left, there in my blog. :-)

    I have heard about BookCrossings and have been meaning to release a book. I need to do it the problem is that I enjoy my books too much and it is so hard to choose! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the recommendation. Just requested it from the library.

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!