Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Have you ever heard of a Rhema?

I was reading at the IBLP site today and came across this...

The second primary Greek word that describes Scripture is rhema, which refers to a word that is spoken and means “an utterance.” A rhema is a verse or portion of Scripture that the Holy Spirit brings to our attention with application to a current situation or need for direction.

Every word of God is inspired, and “all scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness” (II Timothy 3:16). It is the Holy Spirit Who illuminates particular Scriptures for application in a daily walk with the Lord.

The words of Jesus are significant on this point. “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word [rhema] that proceedeth out of the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4). Jesus also stated, “The words [rhema] that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life” (John 6:63).

When God gives a rhema for us to act upon, He often confirms it by a second rhema, that “in the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word [rhema] be established” (II Corinthians 13:1).

I think what I liked most about what they said was this...

How do I “get” a rhema?

In the regular course of our daily reading of God’s Word (logos), we need to ask God to speak to us through His Word and give us insight into it. The Holy Spirit can cause certain passages to stand out with significant meaning or application for our lives. These are the rhemas of Scripture and should become a part of our daily thoughts and actions.

I think I always call that a "prompting of the Holy Spirit". I think the VINES definition of Rhema will agree with that too. It says, "the individual scripture which the Spirit brings to our remembrance for use in time of need, a prerequisite being the regular storing of the mind with Scripture." Which would lead us to believe that it would be important to memorize a Rhema. Or perhaps journaling it -- so that it could be referred to quickly, or referenced regularly.

What prompted this rabbit trail of mine this morning was this question...
As these rhemas are engrafted into our souls and made a living part of our lives, they produce special joy. (See Jeremiah 15:16.)
So I went and looked up Jeremiah 15.16, "Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts."

This tangent of mine all stemmed from studying about the character quality of JOYFULNESS vs. SELF-PITY. If I'm reading God's Word, then EATING them... I should have joy and rejoicing in my heart, which will overflow in my daily life. I'm farily certain I need to be asking the Holy Spirit to guide me through my daily Bible reading, and I need to be digesting what jumps out out at me. Slowly meditating on it all through the day. Letting the good of what I'm eating give me strength. Using it, burning the energy, and not just eating it then sitting around watching TV. Using that spiritual insight He has given me to train up my children in the way they should go.

And doing all this JOYFULLY! Ü

What a great time of fellowship I've had with my Father in Heaven today.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gwen,
    I still do want together for tea in 2007. Driving to Knoxville would be easy. I hope I didn't invite myself though.


    Yes I have heard of Rhema. Beth Moore taught about them in her study I did "Believing God". She strongly encourages writing on a 3x5 index card the Rhema's God has given you. Then carrying them around with you throughout your day. When she was really fighting the good fight of faith, she would pin the card to her clothes so she could look down it directly.

    Great study, great information.
    God is good.
    Blessings
    Linda

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!