Thursday, January 4, 2007

Rocks and Sticks until they're Six

Earlier in the year I signed up to join a "Preschool Activity Bag" Swap... ever done one of those? Well -- I hadn't. But I thought I'd give it a try. Boy am I glad I did.

My theory has most always been "My kids play with rocks and sticks until they are six." Ü We start kindergarten around here at the age of 6, and that's only because the law says we have to... then I only do 100 EZ lessons, and some Wal-Mart math to get us under the wire. Very laid back that first year.

Then I discovered Charlotte Mason and Ambleside Online... Woo hooo... see... I was right. She says the same thing I do. Just leave them alone... Let 'em play!

Now -- that's all fine and dandy. But what's if it's only 45° outside, and a muddy mess to boot. Do they bring the rocks and sticks inside? No way -- LOL... So... I joined the group... we swapped some baggies. Here are 2 of the "pre-schoolers" doing some "school". Hooray! They love it. As simple dimple as string beads on a string, or a pipe cleaner.

Which b.t.w. they thought the pipe cleaner was for cleaning and not for playing with. I wondered where their pipe was. They wanted to clean something. So I had to show them how to play with it. They caught on quick.

Too fun! Now I sit down with my 5th grader, and my 1st grader and do some math with them, while my 3yo and 5yo do some "pre-school". My 1yo gets to learn how to entertain himself in his pack-n-play. He is doing very well in there.

I'm praying that they will last until the snow flies. When is it ever going to snow? Do you know?

We'd appreciate some here... we've got perfectly good snow clothes sitting down in the basement, waiting to be used! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Until then -- we'll be string beads, and copying shapes, and tracing numbers... and trying to be a kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love commentors!!