Saturday, December 15, 2007

December Ice Storm - Day 2

Let's see -- what did we do on day 2. I think we woke up and fought for a chance to hold Sophia.



Then we had another fight.



Then I zoomed in and took about 5,000 photos of Sophia.




Yeah -- that's about it. ::snort::

OK -- we did a bit more then that. Did I mention that Sophia is a doll? I real live cute snuggly doll? She is the most patient baby -- letting my kids hug her and squeeze her and poke her and kiss her. She was amazing. All this -- while teething. I'm not sure if Becky knows this or not. But Sophia is an amazing baby. Very laid back. A few whines here and there... but no screaming fits that couldn't be quickly resolved by removing some bothersome big kids from her space.

On Day 2 we woke up to ice still and still no power. Dan had decided to take off work to get a generator. He'd asked his brother - who sells Lawn Mowers in Southern Iowa - to find him a generator. He did find him one -- and we bought it and Dan filled her up with gas and started plugging things in. We decided saving the food was more important that having lights. Praise the Lord -- I'd just gone grocery shopping on Saturday and the freezers and fridge were full of food. That would have been a big loss. I see some of the commentors told me to put my food outside. Dan did think of that -- but I wanted that to be a last resort -- because we have a dog that loves people food. (dumb dog). We would have had to hang it from the trees like you do when camping, so our dog wouldn't have eaten it. Doable I guess... Funny looking -- but doable.

We had cereal and milk for breakfast. Oh my kids loved that. That was easy to fix.

We decided to let the big kids play out in the ice again this morning. Blow off some STEAM.

We ate lunch meat sandwiches for lunch again. Easy fix.

Then during nap time. C.O.D.A. tournament. I kept telling every one that I was the Queen of C.O.D.A. I'm not really -- but I was trying to build the excitement. We decided to play that during nap time -- because there isn't a lot of counting or moving with Coda Just mostly thinking. Becky, Mansel, Tori and I played Coda It was fun. I think we all won at least 1 time. Yeah -- I'm not really the Queen of anything. Ü Oh -- it looks like you can't buy Coda any more. That's too bad. Becky -- you and Jeremy will have to come here to play Coda -- be sure to tell him I'm the Queen of Coda LOL

Then it starts getting dark fast. So I started thinking about supper. Then what do you know... Dan says, "Let's order pizza!" OK !! HURRAY!! So I did the ordering. Woo Hoo. Dan did the picking up. Oh it was D-Lish. But isn't all food that you don't have to prepare or cook for yourself? I think so. Yum...

Dan educated me on how to fill that generator up with fuel. How to rotate things around -- we couldn't just plug in everything we wanted plugged it. We had to alternate between the 2 freezers in the basement. We'd keep the fridge plugged in all the time. He even rigged up some table lamps to plug in while doing dishes in the evening. How handy was that?

That night -- I had the kids all bunched up in the living room with their "orchestra instruments" and we were singing kid songs and choruses out of the hymn book. Dan all of a sudden strode into the living room and started fiddling around... he TURNED ON THE TV!!! Oh my heavens... you'd have thought he was throwing around million dollar bills. He unplugged something and plugged in the TV and DVD player. So -- on Day 2 -- after dark -- they watched TV. Good heavens -- were we ever spoiled. How many of you think Dan had a limit on how much pot play, rolling pin pounding, spatula clanging he could handle? LOL HEY -- what ever works.

Another early bed time. It gets dark early -- did I mention that?
This is the end of Day 2.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I felt like I was ther all over again and was having a great time. What do you mean you can't buy CODA anymore? I was going to try and look for it. Tell me it isn't so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well -- I Googled Coda and this is what one web-site had to say about it.
    Availability:
    Sorry, this game has been discontinued by the manufacturer!


    BUMMER!!

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!