Thursday, August 16, 2007

What's Outside

Today it's raining -- things are growing like crazy around here. Green. Clean. Fresh. Including the garden. I thought I'd share some of what's happening outside.

Here is our garden from far away -- I wanted to show you what a little sunshine will do. Either that or what good seeds will do. We aren't really sure. The corn on the left is Wal-Mart seed that was planted first. See the little path down the middle... that's where the garden hose snuck through. Well -- the corn on the right was good seed covered in red stuff from an on-line friend, planted 2 weeks later. It's TALLER!! I know!! Amazing huh? Well -- it gets a bit more sunshine then the other. So I think perhaps -- sunshine is like GOLD to corn. We may have to rethink our planting order or directions next year.




This year -- for the first time -- I planted watermelons. If you know anything about Southern Iowa -- and Watermelons -- you'll know that this one is way behind. I planted them a bit late, I guess. BUT since it's my first -- I wanted to photograph it anyway. It looks full size -- but compare it to the leaves around it. It's small really... no bigger than my foot. Ü Cute little guy... I hope it develops fully before the freeze. My neighbor told me since we are down in the valley -- we'll get frost before the next guy who is up a little higher. Oh well... we'll see.




Oh -- then there is Mr. Cantaloupe. YUM... I can't wait for these to be ready!! Did I tell you that I saved the watermelon and cantaloupe seeds from fruit we bought at the grocery store last year? They were DELISH -- so I saved some of the seeds. I washed all the gunk off. Set them up on top of the fridge on a paper towel to dry out. Put them into a zip lock baggie and labeled them -- you know -- in case I didn't recognize a water melon seed. Then this spring -- I planted them. I saved a LOT -- but I didn't plant that many. I did 2 hills of each kind. They are spreading every where. Next spring I'm going to plant them in our front yard -- so we won't have to mow. HA HA!! OK -- not that funny... but really -- they are going crazy! Only 4 plants and they are EVERY WHERE!



Oh -- and my Echinacea plant. I planted 2... only took photos of 1 because one got week whacked! It came back -- but it's not as big as this one. Can you see the plants laying down on the job in the back ground? Yeah -- those slackers. Well -- the echinacea hasn't bloomed yet -- but I'm thinking there is one bloom on it... see that? It's still green. Right above that dandelion. YIKES... I need to weed. That was before all this rain -- they will be taking over if I don't get out there soon. I'm curious as to what color the flowers will be -- hopefully we will be able to see these before the frost too.




That's about it -- all the rest is sort of puny and weedy. Or ugly.

The potatoes are about ready to be dug up -- but you know... it's raining. I think I'll let them dry out a bit. Dan mentioned them rotting. YIKES!! That would be a bummer... my 12yo is learning how to make some awesome garlic, buttery mashed potatoes. YUM!! We could use those potatoes this winter. So pray they don't rot!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great! Ours looks shriveled up from lack of rain and the heat here. It's 106 in the valley here right now with 103 here on the mountain top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your garden is so cool and so is ur blog could u visit mine and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!!! I love gardens. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!