Monday, August 4, 2008

Just A Reminder to Self

Maintain an Attitude of Gratitude

That is the title of this week's Sunday School lesson.

I was instructed to read Philippians 4.8. Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Then the workbook says, "What things should the believer think on?" I think we all KNOW what we are to think on. I was more interested to see what "think on these things" meant. I want to know HOW.

So I looked up that verse on e-sword. Ooowww... I found some interesting things.

Henry says: think of these things - imitate them in what is truly excellent among them, and let not them outdo you in any instance of goodness.”

Gill says: think on these things: meditate upon them, revolve them in your minds, seriously consider them, and reason with yourselves about them, in order to put them into practice.

Robertson says: Think on these things (tauta logizesthe). Present middle imperative for habit of thought. We are responsible for our thoughts and can hold them to high and holy ideals.

Imitate the excellent. Let not them outdo you. Meditate on them. Revolve them in your minds. The kicker... WE ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR THOUGHTS.

How do you do Philippians 4.8?




2 comments:

  1. This is so like Charlotte Mason . . . because thoughts guide behavior, we can go a long way by changing our thoughts . . .

    I think I do Philippians 4:8 by

    * reading living books that touch your heart and uplift your soul and mind,

    * enjoying nature (like cracking up the other day when I caught a squirrel drinking from the bird bath),

    * keeping my nature notebook and listening to great music,

    * doing for others (like knitting and crocheting some baby gifts for friends),

    * watching really great movies or televisions series (a recent family favorite is Cranford),

    * doing Bible study (either with friends or other resources), and

    * turning over anxieties to God when they strike (thinking of my favorite hymns and Christian songs really help me for nighttime fears that try to sneak their way into my mind).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you know what?? We LOVE Cranford here. Ü

    These are GREAT suggestions.

    I was running today and there was a gentle breeze that cooled my face as I came over a hill -- and that made me think of God -- as quiet as a whisper... I gave thanks to God for that gentle breeze. You are right about nature being uplifting!

    I appreciate these ideas!

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!