Thursday, June 12, 2008

Iowa Flooding

Yes -- I live in Iowa. Yes -- some counties in Iowa are experiencing flooding. Yes -- A creek does surround our property on 3 sides... BUT...

1. We live a long way from the Des Moines and the Cedar Rivers (which is where the flooding is happening, as far as I know)
2. We live up on top of a very steep hill.
3. Dan laughed at me when I asked- will our creek flood?
4. We've got a sump pump in our cave - which should minimize any flooding we would experience.
5. I serve a living Saviour.

So -- I'm not worried.

I am praying for folks who DO NOT have the benefits of #1-5, that I listed above.

I've got friends who helped a home school family move all of their belongings out of their house yesterday -- every last stick of furniture, stuff, food, toys, pictures, cloths... everything. They live below the Red Rock Dam. That's pretty close to the Des Moines River. OK -- it's holding BACK the Des Moines river... but not for long. They put all things they wouldn't need for the next 3 months in a trailer. Neighbors told them that in the 100 Year Flood of 1993 their houses in that neighborhood got up to 3-4 feet of water, and it took 3 months to dry out. So - they are preparing.

I am hearing that folks along the Des Moines river are more prepared then they were in 1993. New levies. Experience is on their side.

I've heard on the radio that 650 Iowa National Guard Soldiers have been activated to help with sandbagging and transportation. I was activated in 1993. I ended up pouring milk for soldiers breakfast. Too many soldiers activated that year, I think. I asked if I could go home eventually. I wanted to go back to my normal job. I thought they could pour their own milk. I'm sure there were some soldiers whose mothers were still pouring their milk for them at home, but if they could drive a deuce and a half through 6 feet of water, then they could pour their own milk onto their cereal for crying out loud. And don't cry over spilt milk either.

But that helps me know how to pray for the Soldiers. Lord -- help them as they pour their milk over their cereal and drive through 6 feet of water, if they have to.

I'm praying for our government leaders. Governor Culver had to travel around Iowa a lot yesterday. Viewing the water up close. He has to divy up the funds to people who want them. Some folks in a City Hall were packing up all their papers and records yesterday. Praying for traveling mercies.

A church in Des Moines lives on the dry side of the levey. BUT -- the ground is so saturated with water that their parking lot is collapsing -- even on the "dry" side. I'm praying the levies hold. Thinking of New Orleans there... their levies didn't hold.

Then I'm praying for my folks too. Cedar Rapids Oakland is having a 50th Anniversary this weekend. Cedar Rapids is along the Cedar River. (That's for the people -- like me -- who do better if you just spell things out for them). Well -- they may experience some detours... small bridges may be flooded out. While they were in Iowa they were also going to go to a High School Reunion, in Des Moines... down by the river... but they aren't driving a van. OK -- old SNL joke there...

I invited my friend Susan to crash here with her 6.5 kids and dear husband if they need to. In 1993 folks didn't have drinking water for a while where she lives. If THAT happens... she can surely come here!! I've already given her my phone numbers. Selfishly... wouldn't that be FUN!!! OK -- I'm sorry Susan... I'm not praying that way... you know... just thinking wishfully!

Now you can say you know someone who knows something. I don't know much -- but you don't have to include that tiny detail!

Oh and... it's raining here again...

8 comments:

  1. It's flooding here too. Can my 3 kids, hairy beast and I come stay too? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh!!! Your hairy beast could run with my hairy beast -- They can roll in the grass, eat all they want, howl at the moon. My dh LOVES company!!

    °Ü° Just Kidding!!! (She's got a great big dog! I'm assuming that's the hairy beast).

    YES!! Come on down... just jump in a canoe -- save on gas, and it may be FASTER too. Swift current right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, three wiggly kids, a big hairy beast in a CANOE! Are you nuts?? Canoes don't have DVD players! That's no way to travel!

    DH is NOT the hairy beast. He's BALD, remember?

    ReplyDelete
  4. After all the water has receded down where you are, we'll come for a visit. We are good here. We are about a mile away from where Des Moines residents are being encouraged to evacuate, but we live in the high part of the city, so we should be safe. As a matter of fact, we are right across the street from a shelter for evacuees.

    I just wanted to clarify something. The Des Moines and Racoon Rivers meet in Des Moines and the Des Moines River flows towards your area.

    The Cedar River and Iowa River are what is causing trouble in eastern Iowa (Cedar Falls, Cedar Rapids and the Iowa City area).

    I am hoping the weather forecast is right and we are not going to receive rain the next few days. I am selfish and I want the pools to reopen. My kids want the pools to reopen. They are sick of the flood news and want to get back to normal life. We do feel bad for those who are affected, but they also think the news is making a mountain out of a levy.

    Thanks for inviting us down. You know we'd come if we could.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flooding in Iowa is rally a main problem for them now..They just can't have a break specially the Parkersburg area where in they just got a destructive tornado..My thoughts and prayers for the families out there..Be strong and pray..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Iowa Flooding “Reconnecting Families and Individuals”
    For Immediate Release:
    Iowa USA
    Friday, June 13, 2008

    NOKR is asking anyone that may have a missing or potentially injured family member due to the flooding situation in Iowa to register this person with the Next of Kin Registry.
    Register at: http://www.nokr.org

    Registered contact information will be passed on to area emergency officials responding to this disaster.

    The NOKR organization has initiated contact with the Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management office to offer any assistance possible to help reunify individuals and families displaced by this tragic flooding.

    The Next of Kin Registry (NOKR)
    Can be found in the following area in Iowa

    State of Iowa website (Public Safety Services)
    http://www.iowa.gov/state/main/safetyservices.html

    US Governments Portal USA.gov (Under Family Services)
    http://www.usa.gov/Government/State_Local/Health.shtml
    Next of Kin National Registry

    About NOKR:

    The Next Of Kin Registry (NOKR) was established as a FREE tool for daily emergencies and national disasters. NOKR is an emergency contact system to help if you or your family member is missing, injured or deceased. NOKR provides the public a free proactive service to store emergency contacts, next of kin and vital medical information that would be critical to emergency response agencies. Stored information is only accessible via a secure area that is only accessible by emergency public trust agencies that have registered with NOKR.

    NOKR encourages every township, county, municipality, city, state and nation to take ownership of the NOKR. This resource belongs to you, your citizens and to your emergency agencies. Take the NOKR registration forms and add your own identifying symbols.

    NOKR is a humanitarian organization. As part of our mission to society NOKR has created a trusted safeguarding system for all personal emergency contacts worldwide. NOKR does not own the information we store, this information belongs to the registrants and is made available securely to registered emergency agencies during times of urgent need.

    NOKR is a non-partisan; non-profit 501(c)(3) dedicated to bridging rapid emergency contact information. NOKR was established in January 2004, for daily emergency situations.

    The NOKR’s system is used during daily emergencies and was utilized for the following national and global disasters.
    2004 Asian Tsunami
    2005 London Bombing
    2005 Hurricane Disasters
    2005 Mudslide Guatemala
    2006 India Train Bombing
    2006 Indonesia Earthquake
    2006 Leyte Village Philippines Mudslide
    2007 Virginia Tech College Shooting
    2007 I-35 Bridge Collapse in Minneapolis, Minnesota
    2007 California Wild fires

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, you are on my mind, in my prayers, as are so many. We have family in Iowa too, but they assure us they too are fine right now, also on a hill, far away from flooding. This is just phenomenal. I liked your reasoning list, very cute. YOu can add virtual strangers have come to care by virtue of a little thing called blog land. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am praying for all of you facing floods. If only a little of your rain could head our way . . . Praise God people are taking this seriously!

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!