Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today I Timed my Mile

It was mildly amusing.

When I got to the track -- there was a walking stick running already. She had a KNOXVILLE TRACK sticker on her car -- I'm assuming she was a high school track runner. I wanted to remind her that track season is over -- but she probably knows that. She's the walking stick -- not me.

So I started out speed walking -- I thought I'd walk 1/2 lap, then jog 1/2 lap, walk, jog... until I did my mile. Sort of like the Couch to 5k training.

Well -- the first lap I did o.k. Whew.. how fun to start running and turn that corner... lean into it... kick, kick, kick... felt like I was in high school again. YEAH!!

Ooowww... 3 minute lap... not too bad for an old geezer.

So I started walking the 2nd lap... breathing HEAVY. Hope I recover this 1/2 lap so I can run again. After a bit -- the walking stick starts running... I notice she has been running one lap then timing herself and checking her pulse. She's very professional looking -- running in her underwear and all.

When I start running again I can feel my thighs twinge. I wonder if I started out too fast. But then there is the corner... my favorite part. Then I hear her foot steps... so I scoot over so she doesn't have to yell at me LAP! I know she is going to lap me. LOL. But WOW -- look it there... all of a sudden I'm not kick, kick, kicking around the corner.... I'm slosh, slosh, sloshing. How did she do that? Apparently I'm running in slow motion. Amazing... She glides by like a gazelle... and my arms are wigging around, and my head is bobbing, my breathing WAY overpowers her breathing... is she breathing? I can't tell.

OK -- 2 laps. I start walking. THAT FELT SOOO SLOW... but no... it was still 3 minutes. How did that happen? She she went whizzing by -- time slowed down or something.

Next lap -- more like the first one... she was still checking her pulse or something. I was once again reminiscing about those high school days.

Lap 4 -- it happened again!! I thought that was so funny how I could trick my mind into thinking my wobbly jog was so fast then she would SHOOT on past me -- faster than a speeding bullet apparently -- and my reality got SHOOK! Ü I thought for a moment... I wonder if I run in my underwear -- would my time be any better?

Oh... to be young again.

I wanted to holler at her -- "HEY!! I've given birth 5 times ya know!"

But she could tell that probably -- as my 3 littles were running all over the place. "Marks, get set, go!" they were shouting -- over and over again.

I don't regret it!!! Who cares if I slow...


...I'm blessed!

4 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!! I love reading your blog...you make me laugh..you have a great way of telling stories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me rolling! Thanks Jennifer! Let me tell you, even if the stick wasn't impressed I am! I probably would've collapsed gasping for air before completing jogging that 1/2 lap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yip you may be slow..... You are most certainly blessed..... and I think you are incredibly funny! You have a unique way of painting the picture! I felt like I was running with you, although I was 50 meters behind you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People that run in their underwear gross me out. Jeremy always says, "Look at those two beautiful pieces of meat". He is grossed out too. Your hair looks beautiful in your pictures with your kids. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!