Friday, February 1, 2008

Sited -- A Random Act of Kindness at the Subway

Ü

I'm smiling -- you know why? Someone acted kindly to me tonight, and I just can't get over it.

Here -- let me start at the beginning.

I've recently taken a job at Subway. I'm an artist. A sandwich artist. Oh my heavens -- making subways is more difficult than I thought. Either that -- or I'm a slow learner... either way. I'm still a novice.

Tonight I made a sandwich for a friend. Hi Ruby!! We chatted -- I made -- she gave directions -- she smiled!! She mentioned she reads my blog. I gushed... I think.

As she left I told my manager -- "She reads my blog -- she just made my day."

Then the cashier said, "You got a tip."

REALLY???

RUBY!! You shouldn't have!!

I'll tell you what... that act of kindness -- it almost made me cry!!! Who tips Subway Sandwich Artist?? Nobody -- that's who. Except for my friend. Ruby -- you'll never know how much I appreciate -- not the money -- but the affirmation. (Well -- the money is going to buy me a Ghirardelli White Chocolate something or other latte uptown). I really appreciate and cherish the fact that you smiled at me, and chatted with me, and let me know, and the others around me know, that you were pleased with me.

Thank you, Thank you!

Now -- did I learn a lesson? Oh... why must there be a lesson??

I think I need to do some affirming around me tomorrow*. I need to start doing some random acts of kindness with the people I'm living with and the ones my life touches every day.

Thanks for the lesson Ruby.

And thanks again -- for the tip! (You didn't have to do that, you know)


*Actually -- that's today. I closed, so now it's 1:05 A.M. on Friday morning. Time for bed. So what I meant was, upon rising -- I'll do some affirming. LOL

7 comments:

  1. It's amazing how a small act can become such a big deal.

    And you were right to find the lesson, and think to act upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Subway? I LOVE Subway! Do you get free sandwiches?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a friend!!!

    I love Subway, too. If you worked at mine, I'd meet you on your lunch break!

    Cookies. Oh, I love their cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela -- every time we work, we get a free meal (soup, salad, wrap or sandwich) and a free cookie or bag of chips.

    GREAT PERK!

    Sometimes I bring my meal home and my dear husband takes it for his lunch.

    Sharon -- I'd LOVE to eat a sub with you. °Ü°

    ReplyDelete
  5. I worked at a breakfast/lunch restaurant before Mary was born and I did not like it that we did not get free food- we only got 50% off. And I was not impressed with the cook so I did not get food too often. Hooray for Subway!
    From time to time, I would make it a point to compliment--- put into words how I appreciate them, from the Walmart cashier to the bank teller or my daughter's friend's grandma... I strive to make it a habit as I know how great it feels when I am in the receiving end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how the simple kind things someone else says or does can just make our day. God designed our hearts to be wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...what a great post! I love God's little touches in our lives like that :) encouraging to read!
    ~Rose

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!