Saturday, September 8, 2007

The Myth of a Teen Brain

On a message board I visit, an article was recommended. Boy am I ever glad I read it.

I think I'll share it with you.

The Myth of the Teen Brain: A Q&A with Dr. Epstein. Dr. Epstein wrote a book called, The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen (Quill Driver Books, 2007). The Home School Legal Defense Association publication, The Court Report, then interviewed Dr. Epstein about the book. It's a great interview. I am going to go to my library and request the book.

Have any of you read the book? What do you think about it?

What was your favorite part about the article? Do you agree or disagree with Dr. Epstein? What was your least favorite part of the article? Do you have teen agers yet? I have been trying to say "young adult" around here... but the kiddos have heard teen ager so much -- they can't wait to be one. I do think my kids have a lot more responsibility compared to the average kid... but I think they could be doing more.

I think it's a guilt factor for me... I don't want to be seen as a slave driver, or using them as free help. But really I need to get over that -- I need to let them strive towards being productive adults... forget about what every one else thinks.

Did you have a Teen Brain?

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had heard this teaching about 20 years ago! I think a lot of the issue (but certainly not ALL) is courtesy. Treating young adults as if they have intelligent, valid ideas and opinions. We use the term "dependent adult" in our home.

    ReplyDelete

I love commentors!!