Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Day the Cast Came Off

Danielle went to the clinic the other day to see if they could remove her cast. She had her crutches for 6 weeks. 4 weeks in a cast. She learned how to properly; quickly and efficiently, use her crutches 4 days before the cast was to be removed. She's so silly.



They took an x-ray of her leg before removing the cast to make sure the bone had healed properly. The doc said he could see a "good callus". Hmmm... that's a new term for me. It's all better! That much I know.



The dr. cut the cast with the saw. I wanted to take a photo of that, but since my dear daughter was terrified, I decided to comfort her instead of snapping photos. She took a breather from the sobbing while he was cutting the padding underneath the cast, with scissors... so I propped her up and took a photo of that. Who knew that would be so traumatic. Certainly not me. Live and learn.



When we got home we were very intrigued with that leg. Look how little it is. Amazing. Gross and scaly too. We've lotioned that leg up a ton of times.



She still isn't using it either. I guess it's a good thing she learned how to properly use her crutches. I'm being a meany and making her bend her knee and put some weight on that leg. Doing a little home made physical therapy. It's not broken anymore... so we can't call it the bad leg. It's just the un-used leg.

So -- another adventure over at our house. Whew!

I wonder how long it takes her to climb back on that trampoline?
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Hooray!! She's all better!

    (When she outgrows those super cute boots, can I buy them?? :D)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOO HOO! Congrats on being cast-less! I remember when I had my first cast removed...it tickled like CRAZY! Guess Danielle didn't think it was so funny though, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad it's off!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just had a cast taken off my arm this fall and now know why my daughter went ballistic when they sawed hers off when she was 2. It messes with your mind to see a saw cutting away at you. He even showed me on his own hand that it didn't cut skin and explained how it worked and I was still having a hard time convincing my nerves that it would all be okay.
    I am sure she will "bounce" back in no time.
    -Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle, You are SO brave! You'll be back to normal in no time!! Aunt Genell

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh so awesome that she's got the cast off! Sorry it's been so long since I commented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, my 4 year old daughter broke her femur on a trampoline. She has a full leg cast on for three weeks now. We have less than three more weeks to go and I am very nervous about her cast coming off.
    How long before your daughter started using her leg once the cast came off? did she need physical therapy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh mercy - one year later I see this. She limped for quite a while after the cast came off. She would use her leg after a few days. Even during the summer... while playing on cement, I could "hear" the limp. It wasn't visible... but the gait was still not even. Now 5 years later - no limp. :) Praise God.

      Delete

I love commentors!!