Saturday, March 21, 2015

An eMail I sent to Walmart

My sons want to participate on the local  School Trap Shoot Team.  In order to do this - they have to use a GUN to shoot the clay pigeons.  I went to Knoxville Iowa Walmart SUPER store.  The employee said I was not allowed to buy a gun - he refused to sell me a gun, because it was for my sons and that was illegal and he would go to jail.  
I would like you to explain to me how a local high school has a shooting team with over 50 individuals who are breaking the law.  Wait - you can NOT do that because it it NOT illegal for a parent to buy a gun and register it in their own name and allow their child to use it for a lawful activity.  
I'll refresh your memory...
No unit of local government may regulate the ownership, possession, legal transfer, lawful transportation, registration, or licensing of firearms otherwise lawful under state law.
PossessionNo state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or handgun.PurchaseNo state permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun.JUVENILES AND FIREARMSA loaded firearm must be secured if it is known or there is reason to believe that a minor under the age of 14 years is likely to gain access to the firearm. A loaded firearm can be secured by a trigger lock mechanism, by placing it in a securely locked box or container, or by placing it in some other location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure from a minor.A person under the age of 18 may possess a rifle or shotgun or its ammunition for lawful use when allowed to do so by the person's parent, guardian, spouse who is 18 or older, or another with the express consent of the minor's parent, guardian or spouse who is 18 or older.​You lost a $600 sale tonight.
​Jennifer Johnston
Mom to 2 young men who WILL be using GUNS to shoot on the Trap Shooting Team
We will be buying our guns at another store - a store who educates their employees on the state laws.  ​

Poor ignorant Walmart employee - I wonder if it is his fault or the management's fault?  Another thing I noticed... I walked away instead of educating him.  This is going to be a long path I walk, trying to unlearn my behaviours that have been ingrained into my head these last 20 years.  I stood there looking at the toothless man KNOWING that he was absolutely wrong.  I said "really?"  he said, "yup."  I walked away.  Makes me so mad at myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love commentors!!